HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  HomeHome  

Share | 

Preparation for the Alt

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ste trish

PostSubject: Preparation for the Alt   March 7th 2011, 16:19

Okay Here's how i will prepare for the Alt. First of all, i look over my own fishing diary to see how its fished in the past. Then i'll go on the internet and research the place. Also try and find any up to date catch reports. From doing this i know that its going to be flounders and rag, lug ,maddies tipped with mackerel will be the best baits. Razor , blow lug and white rag can also be good on there day. Ive got some good quality black along with razor in the freezer; some whites in the fridge (although they are starting to be past their best!) Also got some rag but dont think that will last. Got Mackerel so that leaves rag, blow lug and maddies Hoping dad can get some rag, so will get over to the dee to try and get maddies on sat morning along with some blow
thats the plan for bait anyway! On to rigs. For flounders i find that light long rigs are best so will make half a dozen of them up with size 2 and 4 lightweight aberdeens on. Boom rigs can also work so will make sure i've go 2 or 3 of them made up. Along with a few other rigs that them sorted Wink Wink Wink Leads. A lot of lads neglect there leads and just take grips and nothing else. Thats a big mistake; diffferent shaped leads move at different rates and somtimes the fish will only take a bait thats moving at a set pace. Seen this happen at talacre with two lads using pyramid leads cleaning up while the anglers using grips struggling. I will take a varirety with me ranging from 1/2 oz to 6oz. I'll throw the usual bits of terminal tackle in and also some different snood line. Clear amnesia or Maxima Chameleon are what i usually uyse but will take some flurocarbon and floating mono with me as well. Low breaking strain from 6lb to 15lb. Knife scissors elasticated cotton forceps and baiting needle go in . I'll take my chest wader to help keep clean in the mud waterproof jacket and shelter will go in the van along with a bucket., From reading my fishing diary, i know most of the fishing is close range so i will take a quiver tip, a flattie rod(2-4oz) and a standard beach rod in case it blows up or the conditions are bad. Tactics are very much a lottery at the Alt some anglers do well just casting out and leaving it others like to twitch the bait along . I will probably alternate the two and see what works on the day. Some final thoughts; it can be quite snaggy with all the yatch buoys so fine wire hooks can help you pull free when you do snag. Under pressure they straighten slightly and pull out.l it can be peggy so if your not catching and there is space move along. Hope this helps, if not, just ignore it! Very Happy Cheers . Steve Trish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dids

PostSubject: Preparation for the Alt   March 7th 2011, 18:25

Thank you Ste, that was very usefull, see you there
Cheers
Dids Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.bluetoad.fsnet.co.uk
benh

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 7th 2011, 18:28

nice one steve Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bens dad

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 7th 2011, 20:11

nice one Ste
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ste trish

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 7th 2011, 22:27

Some more stuff. I'll be using fixed spools at this match . better accuracy better for light line and less hassle for twitching in; you dont have to guide the line across the spool like a multi. Also have a measure and pen! I Think we will need a light for the last half an hour too. Right, this could be my top, top top, tip for the Alt on this size tide or just a total load of bollox! Would it be worth putting a ragworm on under a float? If steven Junior comes might get him to give it a try!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bens dad

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 8th 2011, 20:37

ste trish wrote:
Some more stuff. I'll be using fixed spools at this match . better accuracy better for light line and less hassle for twitching in; you dont have to guide the line across the spool like a multi. Also have a measure and pen! I Think we will need a light for the last half an hour too. Right, this could be my top, top top, tip for the Alt on this size tide or just a total load of bollox! Would it be worth putting a ragworm on under a float? If steven Junior comes might get him to give it a try!
could be a really good call bud trot it through your peg just bouncing overdepth
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jon p

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 9th 2011, 16:47

could someone please give directions how to get to the alt venue, thanks Jon p
Back to top Go down
View user profile
benh

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 9th 2011, 16:58

Jon p wrote:

If you have a look at Ste's post on this link he told someone directions Very Happy
http://sefton-sea-anglers.to-relax.net/t753-fished-the-alt-sat-26211
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bens dad

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 9th 2011, 18:15

Jon p wrote:
Thornbeck avenue for the sat nav be careful where you park as the residents take umbridge at times due to ignorant people blocking there access etc...walk through the boatyard - dont park in it though as it gets locked.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bens dad

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 9th 2011, 18:16

Dids wrote:
Thank you Ste, that was very usefull, see you there
Cheers
Dids Very Happy
you can follow us matey if you want as we only live a couple miles from you, let me know.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Steve Bates

PostSubject: Preparation for the Alt   March 12th 2011, 00:56

Thanks for your report Steve. Can you now catch the fish for me!!!!
If anyone doesn't know how to fish the Alt after that report welllllll !!!
Good report Steve you must need the competition.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ste trish

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 12th 2011, 20:05

Only fished a few of the winter league Ste, cant do any good in it now , i think dad and Mal Bell have got 1st and 2nd sorted . Competition pushes you you into becoming a better angler. I would put money on Ben and Pete Harrison becoming the next stars on the club scene, think they will push us all the way! Good anglers already and willing to put time ,effort and money into bait. Vitally important if you want to catch on a regular basis. You going to fish it Steve or doing the small boats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
bens dad

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   March 12th 2011, 22:33

ste trish wrote:
Only fished a few of the winter league Ste, cant do any good in it now , i think dad and Mal Bell have got 1st and 2nd sorted . Competition pushes you you into becoming a better angler. I would put money on Ben and Pete Harrison becoming the next stars on the club scene, think they will push us all the way! Good anglers already and willing to put time ,effort and money into bait. Vitally important if you want to catch on a regular basis. You going to fish it Steve or doing the small boats?
Thats extremely generous Ste - long way to get as good as you and your dad mate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preparation for the Alt   

Back to top Go down

Preparation for the Alt
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1